Weather and Art - Part One

April 22, 2009


As the weather has turned cold, gray and damp once more, it's given me cause to reflect on how weather affects my art.
Nothing is more conducive to my artistic creation than inclement weather. Cold, snowy or rainy days are a definite catalyst for pulling out the canvas, paints and brushes. Today is no exception as I quickly flashback to the mounds of snow we had just a few short weeks ago.

I am not a fan of cold weather although it does have it's perks. There's a nostalgic comfort in piling on the bed with journals, markers, colored pencils, paints and canvases in front me. With the TV tuned into a movie or favorite Sirius Radio station and a hot, steamy mug of coffee, I have everything I need to be fulfilled in my temporary den. As the creative juices begin to flow, I am transported back in time and for a brief moment, I feel like a teen again.

I live on the south shores of Lake Erie in northeastern Ohio and what is known as "the snow belt". Our proximity to Lake Erie gifts us with lake-effect snow and what generally totals 100 + inches of snow per season. The season generally lasts from November through April. That's a lot of gray and a lot of cold and that translates into a lot of time spent in my "den" creating.

It's not snowing today, but it is cold. The snow shovels have been put back into the garage for the season, and the local weathermen have predicted a perfect, sunny weekend with highs in the mid 70s. Until then, I'll play with my art supplies and dream of sunny skies and the warmth of the sun on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment